The English language plays an integral part in our school. Regular teaching at all levels helps the learners build vocabulary. This helps them master sentence patterns, verb forms, prepositions, articles etc. Through this they are able to master words and phrases. Understanding the context and expressing it then comes automatically.
The pupils are therefore able to express their ideas accurately, fluently and imaginatively.
At Hillside School Utawala, we not only put emphasis on grammar but go a notch higher to have an organized reading program. This starts with identifying the level of each learner to determine his/her reading ability. Each learner is then allocated a reading book according to his level which he reads both in school and at home.
To ensure parents participation, learners are given reading cards which they carry home together with the reading book. Parents are expected to put down their comments once their children reads for then.
The teacher makes a follow up on his/her observation as well as those comments made by the parents. After extensive reading the learner analysis the reading book he/she was allocated by answering question and re-telling the story orally as well as in writing.
Katika shule ya Hillside somo la Kiswahili linachukuliwa kwa uzito sana.Walimu hutumia mbinu zifuatazo ili kulifanya linawiri na kushamiri:
1. Utumizi wa vitabu ainati hususan Kiswahili kwa darasa,Kiswahili mufti ,kielekezi na taswira.Mabuku haya hutoa maelezo na maswali mengi kwa mwanafunzi.
2. Walimu hufunza maswali ya ufahamu na jinsi ya kukabiliana na changamoto zinazotokana na maswali yenyewe hususan ya kifasihi.
3. Utumizi wa nyenzo chekwachekwa darasani mathalani chati,mifano halisi na nyinginezo.
4. Kuelekeza wanafunzi kwa kina katika maswali ya istilahi za lugha na fani za lugha.
5. Katika insha wasomi huelekezwa kuhusu hati nadhifu ,kujadili msamiati teule na tamathali za lugha,kuwashirikisha katika usomaji wa magazeti na vitabu vya hadithi ili kuboresha na kupevusha mawazo yao.
Katika shule ya Hillside, wanafunzi hawafundishwi lugha tu mbali jinsi ya kusoma kwa lugha ya Kiswahili. Maktaba yetu iko na vitabu vya hadithi mbalimbali ambazo wanafunzu husoma kwa muungozo wa mwaalimu husika. Hill inanufaaisha wanafunzi kusoma na kutafsiri ufahamu.
Pia wanafunzi wanajifunza jinsi ya kutumia muda wao wakati hawapo na mwaalimu au wakati wako nyumbani. Hii huchangia wanafunzi kupenda somo la Kiswahili ambayo imepelekea shule yetu kupata hata matokeo mazuri katika mitihani.
Meet Our Team
Joe Kabugi– Chief Executive
Joe holds a BA in public Administration from Moi University and an MBA from Kenyatta University.
He started formal employment as a teacher at Ngararia girls High school rising to head the English/literature department and then joined Delmonte K Ltd. where he was in charge of company sponsored schools including Imani School.
An accomplished Human Resources specialist, he later joined British American Tobacco initially as an Employee Relations Manager and later Human resources Manager for Horn of Africa comprising of seven countries.
Joe left BAT to form COL (K) Ltd. Where he is the chairman and Chief Executive